Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Nipplehonker & the 2 night minimum

The Chart

This is Nipplehonker here. Just to clarify, Asswrangler will be posting as well. He has full access to the blog and will post as he sees fit.

DISCLAIMER: Asswrangler is a bit more rowdy than I, so I assume no responsibility for what he writes here.

Onto the trip....the link above is the map for our 10 day journey taking place in late August. It is in Microsoft Word format with links available to most everything of interest. The idea for this little journey of ours was born in the cauldron of all great ideas, the shitter.

It was first going to be a casual tour of the general areas we are going to, and then it became a mission to hit the highest point in each of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine with some partying in between (thus the day in Montreal).

I spent most of yesterday plotting the 10 days out, finding out where we could stay, breaking up the driving, and doing some rough estimates on cost. This morning I got on the phone and internet and reserved pretty much everything. Smuggler's Notch SP and Dry River Campground both banged me for a 2 minimum when I only wanted to stay one night...they suck for that. Although I suppose that's my payback for all the late night arrival-early morning departure camping trips where I avoided the ranger collecting fees. I think the Goodfellas are still ahead of the game on that one.

On the first two nights we had planned to stay at the Wilderness Campground at Adirondack Loj, but it was booked, hence our two night stay at Whispering Pines (a serviceable alternative, but not as convenient to our route to Mt Marcy as the Loj Campground).

The only question mark is our reservation at Baxter State Park. The park has extremely limited access and as result most of the campgrounds are full. I called this morning and they have three spots left that would serve as a good launching pad for our attempt on Katahdin, but their reservation system is ancient. You have to literally mail in a form with a request. No online reservation, no reservations over the phone. So in keeping with the analness that has pervaded the preparation of this trip so far, I ran to the post office and sent our request Express Mail Overnight. I'll bet they don't see too many express mail requests to Millenocket Maine in the Forest Hills post office.

that's it for now...will post more as is necessary.

No comments: